Monday, April 6, 2009

Dema

Today was the first day we arrived at the Rachel's center. We did some painting and cleaning... and of course loved on the kiddos (who are the most precious little ones I may have ever seen!). But sometimes I would have to remind myself that all the work to be done around the center is important. Though we surely want to all play with the children, we have to remember that fixing up the center carries importance as well.
After working for the morning there, we had probably the best spaghetti ever (thanks Rachel!) and left for the Roma village. The Roma people live in a village on the outskirts of Tinca. To say that these people are gypsies is correct, but out of respect and value for them, I'm going to call them Romas. Romas are a very supressed people. They are looked down on and even thought and told they have no souls. They generally don't speak Romanian but speak a Roma dialect. All those facts aside, these people are beautiful. I'm not sure I've ever seen such brokenness and purity at the same time. Within a matter of minutes one of the little girls told me she loved me. The language barrier didn't seem to be too much of an issue because they really just wanted love... which translates in every language.
What I was left with today was the thought that anyone one of those children could have been in my place... and I could just have easily been living their way of life. It's hard to understand and grasp why God puts us... almost assigns us... our place in His world. It's something that I'll continue to ponder and pursue, but I just left feeling like I now have to do something great or make something of myself in order to use the opportunity that is my life.
Yesterday we ate lunch with a few of the families at Caminul Felix. I was at Dema and Monika's house. In the course of our conversation, he reminded me of something I had somehow forgotten... he said, "The world may be in crisis, but God is never in crisis." It just might be that God, in His infinite wisdom, is trying to teach me something.

No comments:

Post a Comment